Bacon Orchestra Special Style B Plectrum Banjo (1925)
Bacon Orchestra Special Style B Model Plectrum Banjo (1925), made in Groton CT, serial # 16522, shaded maple finish, period black hard shell case.
Here's something we don't often see -- a very nice midline Plectrum banjo from one of the best 1920s makers. While Tenor banjos at this level are quite common, it is only rarely we encounter the long-neck 4-string variety. This Bacon Style B is a solid instrument, designed for amateur players or pros on a budget, but with many of the same construction details as the celebrated B&D Silver Bell.
The materials and general construction are the same but with a simpler tone ring, flange, and level of decoration. The heavy maple rim mounts a simple sheathed tone ring, and the resonator a plainer round-hole flange. The neck has a bound dyed-maple fingerboard with pearl inlay in the Silver Bell 3 1 pattern. The headstock is plain with just a "Bacon" script inlay and mounts geared Grover tuners. This is an excellent value in a vintage plectrum; a fine player and fully capable of holding its own with many more expensive banjos of the period.
Overall length is 37 in. (94 cm.), 11 in. (27.9 cm.) diameter head, and 3 5/8 in. (9.2 cm.) in depth, measured at side of rim. Scale length is 26 in. (660 mm.). Width of nut is 1 1/8 in. (29 mm.).
This banjo is in nice original condition overall, set up with a modern head but otherwise original. The original four resonator mounting bolts are missing (replaced by screws) and the tailpiece has lost its top cover; otherwise the banjo is original and complete, with some light typical play and plating wear. It would be hard to find a better vintage beginner's or intermediate-level Plectrum banjo with the full Bacon sound and quality of build at a mid-line price. Includes a worn but functional period HSC. Excellent - Condition.
Item # 8052
Ad Number 117384
Posted: Nov 11, 2017 10:25 AM CDT
233 Butler Street
Brooklyn NY 11217
Ad Owner History
Prior ads by this individual: 605
This individual has never replied to an ad using this email address.
Other current ads by this individual:
• 1979 Monteleone Grand Artist
• C. F. Martin D-28 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1937)
• Epiphone MM-45 Arch Top Mandolin, C. 1982
• Stahl Flat Back, Bent Top Mandolin, Made By Regal, C. 1920
• Rickenbacker Hollow Body Electric Mandolin, C. 1939
• Gibson F-4 Carved Top Mandolin (1913)
• Gibson TB-3 Mastertone Conversion With Steve Huber Tone Ring
• Gibson Em-150 Hollow Body Electric Mandolin (1937)
• Guild F-30-Nt Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1962)
• 1914 Anastasios Stathopoulo Style 15A Flat Back
• Gibson Model A-4 Snakehead Carved Top Mandolin (1924)
• 1925 Washburn Style 5310 Carved Top Mandocello
• Gibson A-40N Carved Top Mandolin (1952)
• C. F. Martin 000-18 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1971)
• Gibson A-4 Carved Top Mandolin (1911)
• Leedy Solotone Special Tenor Banjo, Circa 1927
• A. A. Farland Black Beauty 5 String Banjo , C. 1915
• C. F. Martin 0-18 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1950)