Rickenbacker Hollow Body Electric Mandolin, C. 1939
Rickenbacker Hollow Body Electric Mandolin, c. 1939, made in Los Angeles, California, serial # C3305, sunburst lacquer finish, laminated maple body, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, original black hard shell case.
The Rickenbacker company in Los Angeles basically electrified every fretted thing they could in the 1930's; the mandolin is one of the more obscure models and are rarely encountered today. Production of this model was very limited, and the specs are often inconsistent. This one has a mix of features we have not seen before-a multi-bound flat top, arched maple back, single white volume knob and dark wood finished headstock. With the celebrated Rick horseshoe pickup, this mandolin has plenty of sound possibilities as well as being a very interesting historic piece.
Overall length is 26 in. (66 cm.), 10 in. (25.4 cm.) width, and 2 in. (5.1 cm.) in depth, measured at side of rim. Scale length is 13 7/8 in. (352 mm.). Width of nut is 1 1/4 in. (32 mm.). A lovely all-original example of this very rare early electric mandolin. Overall the instrument is quite well preserved; there is some playwear (mostly to the back of the neck, where the finish is worn through) and other small finish rubs; one ding to the headstock edge on the bass side. No alterations except for an added outside ground wire from the jack to the tailpiece and the bridge string slots have been deepened somewhat. The action rises somewhat above the 5th-7th fret area; the instrument is overall quite playable but could be made more so with a replacement saddle piece, if desired-we have elected to leave the original bridge on but it could be easily substituted without altering the instrument permanently. Includes the original hardshell case; the hinges are broken but it is functional for storage. Excellent - Condition.
Ad Number 117537
Posted: Nov 15, 2017 08:08 AM CDT
233 Butler Street
Brooklyn NY 11217
Ad Owner History
Prior ads by this individual: 622
This individual has never replied to an ad using this email address.
Other current ads by this individual:
• Gibson TB-3 Mastertone Conversion With Steve Huber Tone Ring
• Flange & Resonator Banjo Ukulele (Unlabelled), C. 1927
• Gibson J-45 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1951)
• C. F. Martin 0-42 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1929)
• C. F. Martin 0-18 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1959)
• Gibson A-4 Carved Top Mandolin (1913)
• Knutsen Jumbo 11 String Harp Guitar, C. 1912
• Gibson F-4 Carved Top Mandolin (1928)
• Gibson RB-12 Top Tension 5 String Resonator Banjo (1996)
• C. F. Martin 00-21 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1932)
• Bacon & Day Silver Bell #1 Tenor Banjo (1938)
• National Triolian Resophonic Mandolin (1931)
• Gibson J-160E Flat Top Acoustic-Electric Guitar (1969)
• C. F. Martin HD-28 Custom Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1980)
• Concertone C-831 5 String Banjo C. 1925
• 1979 Monteleone Grand Artist
• Gibson F-4 Carved Top Mandolin (1913)
• Gibson Em-150 Hollow Body Electric Mandolin (1937)