C. F. Martin HD-28 Custom Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1980)
C. F. Martin HD-28 Custom Model Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1980), made in Nazareth, PA, serial # 420456, natural finish, Rosewood back and sides, spruce top; mahogany neck with ebony fingerboard, original molded blue plastic hard shell case.
This guitar is a lovely and very interesting Custom-ordered HD-28, intended at the time to be the most accurate "1934 style' re-issue yet attempted. The model designation on the heelblock above the serial number reads simply "CUSTOM", with no "HD-28". Special features include the forward-mounted scalloped X-bracing, a squared-off headstock with repro openback Grover Sta-Tite style tuners stamped "Martin", a more "V" neck profile than the 1970's standard and original style small slotted diamond inlay in the ebony fingerboard. The guitar previously belonged to John DeGrote, who was a respected bluegrass and jazz player for many years. He appeared in ads for Martin holding the OM-45 he landed with on Utah Beach in WWII and was a long term Martin collector and booster. This guitar is a very early example of what would become the HD-28V vintage re-issue, the guitar that put Martin on the track of re-creating their past classics for modern players.
Overall length is 41 in. (104.1 cm.), 15 5/8 in. (39.7 cm.) wide at lower bout, and 4 15/16 in. (12.5 cm.) in depth at side, taken at the end block. Scale length is 25 1/2 in. (648 mm.). Width of nut is 1 11/16 in. (43 mm.). This instrument shows some light wear but remains in excellent playing condition. There are small scuffs and scratches to the finish, the lower rim of the sound hole shows some light pickwear. There is one repaired back crack near the edge on the lower treble bout. It has had a recent neckset, new bridge and fret work and is ready to roll. The sound is really lovely, we always like these early HD-20's and this is one of the best we've had. It feels like martin put more love into this guitar than many from the period--it was a custom order after all. The original molded blue plastic HSC is still present and in excellent condition. Excellent - Condition.
Ad Number 117902
Posted: Nov 24, 2017 07:43 AM CDT
233 Butler Street
Brooklyn NY 11217
Ad Owner History
Prior ads by this individual: 623
This individual has never replied to an ad using this email address.
Other current ads by this individual:
• C. F. Martin 0-15 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1956)
• Gibson TB-3 Mastertone Conversion With Steve Huber Tone Ring
• Flange & Resonator Banjo Ukulele (Unlabelled), C. 1927
• Gibson J-45 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1951)
• C. F. Martin 0-42 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1929)
• C. F. Martin 0-18 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1959)
• Gibson A-4 Carved Top Mandolin (1913)
• Gibson F-4 Carved Top Mandolin (1928)
• Gibson RB-12 Top Tension 5 String Resonator Banjo (1996)
• C. F. Martin 00-21 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1932)
• Bacon & Day Silver Bell #1 Tenor Banjo (1938)
• National Triolian Resophonic Mandolin (1931)
• Gibson J-160E Flat Top Acoustic-Electric Guitar (1969)
• Concertone C-831 5 String Banjo C. 1925
• 1979 Monteleone Grand Artist
• Rickenbacker Hollow Body Electric Mandolin, C. 1939
• Gibson F-4 Carved Top Mandolin (1913)
• Gibson Em-150 Hollow Body Electric Mandolin (1937)