S. S. Stewart Imperial Banjeaurine, Circa 1892
S. S. Stewart Imperial Model Banjeaurine, c. 1892, made in Philadelphia, serial # 12832, natural finish, spunover rim,cherry wood neck with ebony fingerboard.
Banjeurines were one of S.S. Stewart's Specialties, and this is a very fine example of his factory's work. With a short scale neck but full size head these instruments were meant to be tuned to a higher pitch to play melody parts in the banjo ensembles of the 1890's, but still have a full rich tone. While not as often played today, banjeurines are considerably rarer than their full-scale banjo brothers, especially in the higher grades.
This lovely little Stewart features a cherry neck with an ebony fingerboard with mixed diamond and tar inlay, and a moon-and-star inlaid headstock. The neck/heel brace is the original heavier solid style without the turnbuckle. A wonderful find for the banjo collector and the player with a taste for the slightly unusual!
Overall length is 28 in. (71.1 cm.), 12 in. (30.5 cm.) diameter head, and 2 1/4 in. (5.7 cm.) in depth, measured at side of rim. Scale length is 19 1/4 in. (489 mm.). Width of nut is 1 1/4 in. (32 mm.). Very nice original condition overall; the original tuners, hooks and nuts are all intact except one old hook mismatch. The tailpiece is a slightly later (early 20th century) No-Knot model. There is general wear overall, the most notable is most of the plating is missing from the hoop on the top side and some finish worn away from the back of the neck. This is in in very good playing condition, set up with an old skin head and new Nylgut strings. The Banjuerine has a unique, rather enchanting sound and this one is no exception. Overall Excellent - Condition.
Ad Number 123290
Posted: Apr 13, 2018 12:09 PM CDT
233 Butler Street
Brooklyn NY 11217
Ad Owner History
Prior ads by this individual: 720
This individual has never replied to an ad using this email address.
Other current ads by this individual:
• Bacon Style #1 Banjo Ukulele (1926)
• Gibson F-5 Carved Top Mandolin (1938)
• Monteleone Grand Artist Carved Top Mandolin (1982)
• Gibson F-10 Carved Top Mandolin (1934)
• Anastasios Stathopoulo Style 15A Flat Back, Bent Top 1914
• Gibson Style A-3 Carved Top Mandolin (1920)
• Gibson Ub-1 Banjo Ukulele Circa 1928
• Gibson A-50 Modified By Ray Matty Carved Top Mandolin (1962)
• Gibson Style GB Guitar Banjo (1921)
• Gibson K-4 Carved Top Mandocello (1921)
• Stahl Flat Back, Bent Top Mandolin, Made By Larson Brothers
• Gibson A-4 Carved Top Mandolin (1931)
• C. F. Martin 000-28 Shaded Top Flat Top Acoustic Guitar 1948
• Dyer Symphony Harp Style 25 Flat Back Mandolin
• Gibson H-2 Carved Top Mandola (1919)
• Earl Scruggs Standard 5 String Resonator Banjo, C. 1992
• C. F. Martin Style 1-T Tenor Ukulele, C. 1940's
• Rickenbacker Hollow Body Electric Mandolin, C. 1939