C. F. Martin OM-18 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1931)
C. F. Martin OM-18 Model Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1931), made in Nazareth, PA, serial # 46292, natural lacquer finish, mahogany back, sides and neck, spruce top; ebony fingerboard, period brown hard shell case.
Overall length is 40 in. (101.6 cm.), 15 1/8 in. (38.4 cm.) wide at lower bout, and 4 1/8 in. (10.5 cm.) in depth at side, taken at the end block. Scale length is 25 1/4 in. (641 mm.). Width of nut is 1 3/4 in. (44 mm.).
This is simply one of the cleanest and most original OM Martins we have ever encountered, a veritable time capsule of resplendent austerity. There are *NO* cracks anywhere, just some small dings and dents and light checking to the very thin lacquer overall. The only alteration is the original bridge was lowered slightly sometime long ago. There is a bit of wear through the finish around the soundhole but that is the only place the lacquer has been breached in a notable way.
The neck has been neatly reset but the bar frets are original, and the bridge does not appear to have ever been off the top. The original Grover Patent banjo tuners still work fine -- as well as they ever did, anyway! For a guitar as delicately built as this ultra-light mahogany OM, the condition is exemplary and very few of these have survived 80+ years in this state of preservation. The instrument plays effortlessly and the sound is fantastically detailed -- this is not the loudest OM we have heard, but it responds immediately to the lightest touch, and every note shimmers with a life of its own. Simply a fantastic example of one of the most sought-after of all flat-top guitars, in a lovely (but slightly later) period HSC. Excellent Condition.
$40,000.00 + shipping
Ad Number 132946
Posted: Dec 15, 2018 02:06 PM CDT
233 Butler Street
Brooklyn NY 11217
Ad Owner History
Prior ads by this individual: 916
This individual has never replied to an ad using this email address.
Other current ads by this individual:
• Gibson F-5 Carved Top Mandolin (1938)
• C. F. Martin D-28 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar, C. 1969
• Gibson TB-1 Tenor Banjo (1923)
• W. A. Cole Eclipse Custom 5 String Banjo (1893)
• C. F. Martin D-28 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1954)
• D'Angelico Excel Cutaway Arch Top Acoustic Guitar (1958)
• C. F. Martin 000-28 Shaded Top Flat Top Acoustic Guitar 1948
• Circa 1938 Euphonon Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar, Larson
• Gibson Sj Southern Jumbo Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1952)
• Frank Proffitt Jr. 5 String Fretless Banjo (1975)
• Iucci Mellotone Grand Tenor Banjo, C. 1925
• Gibson H-4 Carved Top Mandola (1920)
• 1946 C. F. Martin D-28 Herringbone Flat Top Acoustic Guitar
• Gibson H-2 Carved Top Mandola (1914)
• C. F. Martin 0-42 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1929)
• Wildwood Custom Bluegrass 5 String Banjo (1971)
• Bart Reiter Standard Fretless 5 String Banjo (2000)
• 1915 Dyer Symphony Harp Style 25 Flat Back Mandolin