1916 Vega Tubaphone "Garber Special" 5-String Banjo
Here we have an extremely rare and perhaps one-of-a-kind Vega Tubaphone banjo with several unique features.
Apparently, in 1915, Homer Chalet Garber, "the marvel of the banjo world" from Des Moines, Iowa, ordered a custom 5-string Tubaphone banjo from the Vega Company in Boston. Vega complied and presented him with this unique beauty.
The total length of this banjo is a mere 33” with a delightfully short and comfortable 23” scale. One would think that with this scale length that the size of the rim would be small as well. Not so, as this instruments has a 12.5” rim that produces boat loads of volume and tone, especially for such a comfortable-to-hold instrument.
The decorative aspects are in keeping with the Tubaphone style 3, with its combination of stars and pearl dot inlays. The peghead has a unique personalized inlay featuring the engraved logo “Garber Special”. This instrument is in beautiful original condition, with nice low action and only minimal fret wear on the first two frets and nowhere else. The peghead sports unusual early geared side tuners and the 5th-string peg has been upgraded to a geared tuner. A newer custom hard case has been provided.
$3,250.00 with hard case
Additional photos available upon request
Ad Number 133480
Posted: Dec 30, 2018 02:42 PM CDT
Port Ludlow Wa. 98365
Ad Owner History
Prior ads by this individual: 209
Prior replies by this individual: 5
Other current ads by this individual:
• Studio King Flathead 5-String Bluegrass Banjo By Wyatt Fawle
• 1920s Wurlitzer “Tree Of Life” Mandolin
• Extremely Rare 1925 Weymann Style 2 Guitar Banjo
• 1933 Vivitone Electric Tenor Guitar
• 1940s Vega L-100 Mandolin
• 1939 Vega L-100 Oval Hole Mandolin
• 1965 Vega Eddie Peabody 5-String Banjo
• 1963 Vega Earl Scruggs Model 5-String Banjo
• 1918 Vega Shaded Top Cylinder-Back Mandolin
• Supertone “Mando-Laika” Travel Mandolin
• S.S. Stewart Wondertone Style B 5-String Banjo
• 1930s Slingerland New Marvel - Deluxe Archtop Guitar
• 1930s Slingerland Songster Mandolin
• 1928 Slingerland 5-String Open Back Banjo
• Buck Ruff Rider Mandolin Flight Case
• 1988 Richelieu Banjo 5 String Desert Rose Model
• 1930 Regal 2-Point Mandolin
• New Pre-War "D-2018"