C.1932 Gibson Kalamazoo Krb Banjo
Beautiful early 1930’s Gibson Kalamazoo KRB banjo.
Original 5-string neck • 11″ pot
Sunburst • No tone ring • Exceptional Condition
What a great banjo! Fairly rare to find ANY 5-string banjo neck by Gibson, no matter what model name is on it. This circa 1932 Gibson Kalamazoo KRB banjo is a great find because of originality, condition, and playability. Nice Mahogany neck. 3 ply Maple rim. One coordinator rod construction with 16 hooks and nuts. Original friction tuners. Original hardware. Maple resonator has flat back and single line of cream binding around the back edge. The sunburst, is a nice amber center to darker tobacco edges, the tobacco looks blackish brown.
The construction of the neck is slightly simpler than Gibson’s construction with no peghead overlay, no pointed volute, and no truss rod. Additionally, the only artwork on the peg head is a silkscreened Kalamazoo logo. Rim has shoe construction instead of flange. Rosewood fingerboard is in good shape and appears to have original frets, ebony nut, and pearl dot position markers.
These banjos have a lot more sound than you may think. One key to it is how the rim and the neck work together with resonant vibrations. This is because of the quality of the wood used now aged and seasoned 87 years. Currently set up with its original hide head. Comes with an old, original Gibson 5-string hard case from the late ’40s through the early ’60s.
Ad Number 143796
Posted: Sep 2, 2019 03:36 PM CDT
Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments
311 Knowles Street
Missoula Montana 59801
Ad Owner History
Prior ads by this individual: 369
Prior replies by this individual: 9
Other current ads by this individual:
• 1998 Deering John Hartford Banjo
• 1936 Martin D-18 Guitar
• Don Dryer A Model Mandolin #12
• 1976 Tennessee Walnut Top Tension “Butch Robbins” Btd Model
• C. 1972 Gibson RB-250 Banjo
• C. 2008 Epiphone Masterbuilt MB-500 Gibson-Style Banjo
• 1932 Gibson Mahogany TB-4 Conversion Banjo
• 1918 Gibson F-4 Mandolin
• Collings MF5 Deluxe Varnish Mandolin
• 1991 Givens A-3 Mandolin #595
• New Blues Hardware A Model Mandola
• 1911 Fairbanks By Vega Whyte Laydie #7 Open-Back Banjo
• New Blues Hardware A Mandolin
• 1927 Vega 5-String Electric Banjo
• 2009 Prucha F-5 Mandolin