1916 Vega Tubaphone “Garber Special” 5 String Banjo
Here we have an extremely rare and perhaps one-of-a-kind Vega Tubaphone banjo with several unique features. Apparently, in 1915, Homer Chalet Garber, "the marvel of the banjo world" from Des Moines, Iowa, ordered a custom 5-string Tubaphone banjo from the Vega Company in Boston. Vega complied and presented him with this unique beauty.
The total length of this banjo is a mere 33” with a delightfully short and comfortable 23” scale. One would think that with this scale length that the size of the rim would be small as well. Not so, as this instruments has a 12.5” rim that produces boat loads of volume and tone, especially for such a comfortable-to-hold instrument.
The decorative aspects are in keeping with the Tubaphone style 3, with its combination of stars and pearl dot inlays. The peghead has a unique personalized inlay featuring the engraved logo “Garber Special”. This instrument is in beautiful original condition, with nice low action and only minimal fret wear on the first two frets and nowhere else. The peghead sports unusual early geared side tuners and the 5th-string peg has been upgraded to a geared tuner.
A newer custom hard case has been provided.
$2850.00 with hard case
Additional photos available upon request.
Ad Number 145875
Posted: Oct 20, 2019 08:44 PM CDT
Port Ludlow Wa. 98365
Ad Owner History
Prior ads by this individual: 548
Prior replies by this individual: 25
Other current ads by this individual:
• 1910 Fairbanks By Vega #4 Special “Pony” Banjo
• 1938 Bacon & Day "Ne Plus Ultra" Troubadour Archtop Guitar
• 1938 Gibson L Rosewood Custom Guitar
• 1957 Gibson Em-200 Electric Mandolin
• One-Of-A-Kind Rare 1970s Sam Koontz Electric Mandolin
• 1925 Gibson F-2 Mandolin
• 1941 Marwin Jewel Mandolin
• Catafalmo F4 Style Mandolin
• 1925 Gibson A-4 Snake Head Blonde
• 1950 Carvin Model 1 Electric Mandolin
• 1932 Gibson TB-11 Conversion 5 String Banjo
• 1937 Gibson A-50 Mandolin
• 1935 Martin 0-21T Tenor Guitar
• 2010 Paganoni 1924 Loar Style Mandolin Case
• 1935 Martin 000-18 Guitar
• 1920 Lyon & Healy Style C Mandolin
• 1915 Gibson Style O Guitar
• Original David Grisman Signature Picks