PDA

View Full Version : incoming Deering Americana, plans are to PIP it out, and more

darylcrisp
Jun-26-2016, 2:50am
I've been impressed with the 12 inch pot size Americana. I like the light weight, the ease of adjustment regarding the neck, and the sound of them. The renaissance head seems to work really well with these for the lonely haunting tone I like.

Found a leftover blonde. Deering has made some nice changes to the looks and color of the current line, calling them the Artisan models. Not sure if they are doing away totally with the blonde or are adding the Artisan group.

So, plans are to replace the 5th string spike with a bone PIP, bevel the fretboard at the 5th string near the last 5 or 6 frets(check Nechville Atlas) for easier thumb space, and very possibly removing 1-5 frets and replacing with a brass plate. If the total balance is still good after that, and I don't think it will add too much headstock weight, I may take off some wood on the front headstock and put a brass overlay there also.

The shop ordered it with a No-Knot tailpiece, so that's fine and nothing to change on that end.

It does have the guitar tuners that extend sideways. These tend to work very smooth and hold tune fine. If I end up not caring for the looks, I have a full set of Star tuners robbed from a Ramsey with a broken neck. Time will tell on that.

Due to arrive Monday, and it may take me a couple weeks to get it done, I have a Gibson J guitar on my table at the moment with some needed fretwork and a setup, plus lots of home renovations the wife and I are doing(redid our kitchen, moving into two bathrooms now). When I get it finished I will post some pictures and my thoughts. I think it will turn out nice and sound really good.

more later
d

Mike Baker
Jun-30-2016, 7:38am
It does have the guitar tuners that extend sideways. These tend to work very smooth and hold tune fine. If I end up not caring for the looks, I have a full set of Star tuners robbed from a Ramsey with a broken neck. Time will tell on that.

While planetary tuners have certain advantages, I do prefer the guitar tuners for precision. I don't re-tune much (almost never), so without the alternate tuning argument (and even then it really applies to fast and frequent re-tuning), I like the guitars just fine. The planetary vs. guitar tuners debate reminds me a little of the 'F vs. A' debate in the mandolin world, though it is certainly hard to find an exact equivalent in the banjo world to something as purely decorative (and yet expensive) as the scroll.