PDA

View Full Version : What Irish Traditional Banjo Player(s) have influenced you?

MzLoretta
Apr-23-2016, 2:32pm
I'm new to Irish banjo world, so I hope I'm not limiting myself by referring to what I play as Irish trad. At any rate, I'm finding a lot of wonderful Irish trad banjo music out there. Currently, I'm enjoying the playing of Gerry O'Connor. What I recently discovered is that he's using a non-traditional tenor banjo tuning: CGDA

I think most of we mortals use GDAE for our tuning. I know I do.

Who are your favorites? Who has influenced you?

Longblackveil
Apr-23-2016, 2:58pm
If you haven't checked out Angelina Carberry you need to! Her album with Martin Quinn is what made me want to play tenor. A raucous rolling album if I ever heard one :P

Jill McAuley
Apr-23-2016, 4:31pm
Yes, anything by Angelina Carberry is a must have! I also love the playing of John Carty, and Enda Scahill, and just downloaded a great album by American tenor banjo player Dave Cory and Eliot Grasso, called North by Northwest. Dave is a lovely player and coincidentally is the person who restored by Triple X tenor, as he was working with my luthier Lewis Santer at the time. Dave has also played live with Marla Fibish in the past.

MzLoretta
Apr-23-2016, 7:38pm
Oh yes, Angelina Carberry .... how could I forget to mention her? She was actually my introduction to Irish tenor banjo playing; she's fabulous. I also love Enda Scahill and John Carty. Dave Cory and Eliot Grasso are new names to me. Time to get to some serious listening.

Martin Ohrt
Apr-24-2016, 5:23am
Oh, I think i'll have to do some research - never heard of all the names you mentioned!
Gerry O'Connor's style is great, very colourful. And quite different from the more straightforward style of my Irish Tenor-Hero Barney McKenna.
It's him who brought me to the Irish Banjo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqO020o-WME

BBarton
Apr-24-2016, 1:11pm
Brian McGrath, Angelina Carberry, John Carty, Kieran Hanrahan, Stevie Dunne, Brian Kelly, Enda Scahill, Adrian McAuliffe, to name some ... the first three are my favourites.

Brian Shaw
Apr-24-2016, 6:14pm
I am a fan of John Carty

Irish
Apr-25-2016, 10:52am
You might like Brona Graham. Check her out on YouTube . She is a fantastic Irish banjo player.

Jill McAuley
Apr-25-2016, 1:26pm
Yes Brona Graham is awesome, love her playing!

Jill McAuley
Apr-25-2016, 1:32pm
Oh yes, Angelina Carberry .... how could I forget to mention her? She was actually my introduction to Irish tenor banjo playing; she's fabulous. I also love Enda Scahill and John Carty. Dave Cory and Eliot Grasso are new names to me. Time to get to some serious listening.

Here's a set from the Dave Cory & Eliot Grasso CD: