PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Range Plectrum Banjo?

Eric Selinger
May-26-2016, 11:42am
I'm interested in trying my hand at plectrum banjo, and I'm curious about a few of the instruments that seem to crop up in the $400-800 range.

I'd be grateful for any information / opinions about the Deering Goodtime and Classic Goodtime 2 vs. the Fender Robert Schmidt plectrum vs. the Gold Tone options (the CC-Plectrum and the PS-250, which is about twice the price). Can't get my hands on any of them to play 'em, and reviews are few and far between. (The Fender doesn't get reviewed anywhere that I can find, which has me a little worried!)

I know I can go vintage in that price range. Would that be better than getting a new instrument from Deering or Fender or Gold Tone? Or would one of those be better for a newbie, since I can trade up later.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Ryk
May-27-2016, 8:58pm
Eric,

I play plectrum and own a Deering Deluxe and a custom plectrum made by Norbert Pietsch. I have no experience with any of the inexpensive plectrums you've mentioned. But i have played and just purchased, used, a Deering Goodtime American 5-string. It's a great banjo for the money and i would expect the Goodtime plectrum to be of a similar quality. Playing before you pay is always best but i wouldn't hesitate to get the Goodtime from a dealer who could both set it up and who was willing to allow some sort of return.

I would stay away from vintage in that price range.

Good luck and have fun.

Ryk

Eric Selinger
May-28-2016, 12:27pm
Thanks, Ryk! That's helpful. Lovely headstock in your avatar, by the way.

Ryk
May-28-2016, 2:25pm
Thanks Eric ... that's the Pietsch. (Pronounced peach ... and it is!)

If you think you're going to get serious about the plectrum, you might want to keep an eye out for David Frey's Ultimate Plectrum Banjo Players' Guide. Since Dave's death they have been out of print and copies on the web are in the thousand dollar per volume range. If somebody has a set (2 volumes) more within your range grab them. Great books!

Have fun with the plectrum ... they bring smiles and toe tapping wherever they're taken.

Ryk

Martin Ohrt
May-31-2016, 2:17am
Hi Eric,

I own a Gold Tone IT 250 F and tested the PS 250 as well as the TS 250 models. In my opinion, they all are very nice instruments and offer a lot "bang for the buck". I have no experience with the cheaper Gold Tones and your other options, though.
But I'd guess that the CC-plectrum would be a fine instrument to start.
Or, if you've already got a Tenor, you could tune it as a plectrum, and see if you like the tuning. That's how I started the Plectrum.

Have fun!
Martin

Eric Selinger
May-31-2016, 1:38pm
Thanks for the tip! I work at a university, so I'll try hunting up a copy via interlibrary loan, as well as for purchase.

Eric Selinger
May-31-2016, 1:40pm
Martin, thanks for the suggestion! I own a Gold Tone TS 250, currently tuned GDAE, and I have access to a friend's 5-string (an old Gibson long neck that she's not playing). Might try tuning one of those as a plectrum, as a sort of test drive. Good idea!

Martin Ohrt
Jun-06-2016, 12:51pm
Hi Eric, how's your Plectrum-adventure going? :)
Using a 5-string is a very good idea, that's what I did for some time before I had the money to buy my Vox.
The thing I've never liked about retuning Tenors, is that you only reach a Bb way up the neck, while you can play a nice high C-Chord on the longer necks of Plectrums and 5-Strings. You have two "complete sets" of C-chords on the longer necks, which just feels much more "complete", in my opinion.

Eric Selinger
Jun-19-2016, 3:05pm
Thanks for asking, Martin! Things got crazy at work--my apologies for the slow reply. To be honest, after spending some quality time with the retuned Gibson and a Chicago-tuned Ludwig Kingston over at Chicago Music Exchange, I'm feeling less plectrum-curious, and more settled with playing tenor, at least until I get better at it. Have played enough mandolin that fifths tuning feels more natural to me, and I think I'd rather get better on the one instrument than stay a beginner at two of them, at least for a while. Very glad to have all this info in mind, though, for the next time the itch gets strong!

Martin Ohrt
Jun-19-2016, 4:35pm
Hi Eric, glad to hear from you. :) You're right, the Tenor is the more natural choice for us mandolinists. But, I must admit that I've always got confused with the CGDA tuning (GDAE didn't work out in my Jazzband - the lower tuning doesn't cut enough), because the well-known chord grips get different meanings... So, finally learning a new instrument (Plectrum) turned out being easier.

However, have fun with your banjo, however it may be tuned! :D

As some inspiratin, here's a video of a top Jazz Tenor player, Steve Caddick, he switches between chords and single string nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fco6Kk3XqyA

Best,
Martin

Eric Selinger
Sep-17-2016, 8:12am
Well, I got one! :) Gryphon Strings had a used Deering Sierra plectrum with an open-back, grenadillo tone ring, right in my price range, and I couldn't resist! Now to start learning to play it. Crazy chord shapes, if you're coming from tenor!

Other than the David Frey book, any other plectrum books or videos that anyone would recommend?

Ryk
Sep-19-2016, 7:14pm
Eric,

Check out Don Van Palta for plectrum books. Don has some videos up on YouTube. Here's his site: http://www.plectrumbanjolessons.com

Ryk

Eric Selinger
Sep-20-2016, 9:10am
Thanks! I'll take a look. I wonder if my banjo belonged to a student of his--the Sierra neck and grenadillo tone ring is a combo that Van Palta specifically recomments on his site.

Martin Ohrt
Sep-22-2016, 3:21am
I don't know any books, but maybe you'd like to take some lessons?
You could try and get in touch with Sean Moyses, an UK based Plectrum player (one of the best we've got here in Europe), a very friendly guy. He used to offer online lessons - I can't find them on his site right now, but if you ask him....
http://www.seanmoyses.net/
Cynthia Sayer also offers lessons. I don't know her personally, but she sure can play the banjo! ;) By the way, she is a Cafe member...

Of course, I have NFI.

Ryk
Sep-22-2016, 2:16pm
Eric,

All Ten-Thumbs-Up for the Cynthia Sayer idea and i'm embarrassed to not have thought of it. There are some brief YouTube videos of her teaching and some great performance videos as well. I've got her new Book~CD work "You're In The Band" and think it's great. Here's her site: http://www.cynthiasayer.com.

Ryk

Ryk
Sep-22-2016, 5:22pm
..... and another thing. You can try a search for the paperback book "Riley's Routines for Better Banjo" by Jim Riley. It is loaded with priceless information and is by my reading chair. I go through it often and find golden nuggets with every reading. Very much worth the effort.

Ryk