View RSS Feed

clawdan

Spring update – 2016

Rate this Entry
Hi Folks,

Yes! Spring has sprung which in the southwest means it can be 60 one day and 90 the next. It’s ok. I like the sunshine! In the east it means 60 and sunny one day, snow and freezin’ a’ cold that also means I’m still in the west, but time to travel is coming up soon.

The garden is continuing to thrive though I have scaled it back a bit to only the cactus and ornamentals so there isn’t as much to keep going over the summer.

Squirrelly Dan and The Cat Mountain Rounders (my latest trio) has one more dance on April 30 this season. Tom Crisp will be callin’ the squares. This one will be at our home park Far Horizon’s East (7570 E. Speedway) and is open to the public. Come on over and square it up or just hang and listen to the music. Clogging freestyle is always an option (no taps please).

My current plan is to leave for the east on May 19 or 20 and start my summer “tour” of the east.

The schedule so far:
May 21 – Las Cruces, NM – Concert and Fiddle Workshop
May 23 – Wilsey, KS (near Council Grove) – House concert – (details tba)
May 24 – Kansas City, MO – Clawhammer Banjo Workshop at The Fret Shop
June 17 – Cleveland OH – Concert at The Bob Stop
June 18 – Cleveland, OH – Jam Repertoire Workshop at Heights Music
June 25 – Pittsburgh, PA – House Concert at Curt and Annie’s
July 7 – Vinton (SE), OH – Daylong Fiddle Workshop at the Homestead
July 8-10 – Vinton (SE), OH – Clawcamp Clawhammer Banjo Weekend at the Homestead
August 11 – Mountain View, AR – Fiddle Workshop at The Ozark Folk Center
August 12 – Mountain View, AR – Judging at the Arkansas State Fiddle Contest – Traditional Style
at The Ozark Folk Center
August 23 – Columbus, OH – Concert – Split bill with Annie Trimble at Natalie’s Coal Fired Pizza
September 10 – Repertoire and Fiddle Workshops at the St. Louis Folk School;
Concert that evening at The Focal Point.
September 11 – Contra Dance at Childgrove Dances.

This should put me back in Tucson sometime the week of September 12 for another music filled season!

In other news, I am expecting my new book Beyond the Waterfall: Extraordinary Tunes for Fiddle and Clawhammer Banjo to be out either late May (just in time for the trip) or early June (just as I get back to Ohio). Once I have a more firm date, I’ll start taking advance orders. Cost should be around $20-25.

Clawcamp registration is moving along too. I am planning on adding a fiddle day right before it. Thursday the 7th or Friday the 8th which would allow us a joint dinner as banjo folks arrive. Any thoughts please feel fee to let me know. clawdan.com/index.php?/workshops/clawcamp_east/ will give you the details on that one.

AND, if you would like to add to the madness or perhaps host a musician as he is coming through or to your town, please write.

Finally, (well for now anyway) I am working on a West Coast Tour for the late fall of 2016. I have a SF/Berkley area date of November 5 already as a core of the trip. Please contact me if you feel you would like me to come “your way” (north or south) from or before that on route to or from Tucson!
I’ll be updating this as I get closer to leaving so stay tuned and…

Play Nice,
Dan "clawdan" Levenson
www.Clawdan.com
Author of "Clawhammer Banjo From Scratch" - and 13 other Mel Bay publications

Here’s a review of past camps from a returning couple:

“Dan,

Thank you very much for running Clawcamp. It is a terrific experience, and offers a wealth of learning experience and comradeship. I can not even imagine a better experience or environment to learn or to improve what you already know on banjo and fiddle.

Anyone who has worked with your instruction books or DVDs can attest to your skill as a teacher, and would agree that you create interest and excitement to learn with your method. The only thing better is instruction directly from the "hand of the master!"

And that's not all! The homestead is wonderful, and South East Ohio is as beautiful as one could ask for - a genuine country environment and experience, far from distractions and interference. And an added plus are the other Clawcampers: In the past several years that Grace and I have attended, the gang at Clawcamp has been wonderful, fun, interesting, and have become friends we hope to see each summer. And if that were not enough, on the occasions when our presence is graced by the beautiful and talented Ms. Jennifer, Clawcamp is even better.

We wouldn't miss it, and hope to be there this summer for more music, fun, and companionship.

See you then -

Pete and Grace
Silver Spring, MD"

Submit "Spring update – 2016" to Digg Submit "Spring update – 2016" to del.icio.us Submit "Spring update – 2016" to StumbleUpon Submit "Spring update – 2016" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments