Thread: 5-String Neck(s)

5-String Neck(s)

Hi! I'm Andy. I'm a noob here, but I've been on the forums for mandolincafe.com and ukuleleunderground.com.

I'm looking for some gear, specifically a 5-string banjo neck and dowel (or is it called the truss rod--the part that goes through the banjo body). I want to build a 5-string out of a cookie tin I have left over from Christmas.

Years ago, a friend put a tenor banjo neck on a round cookie tin, and I love it and play it a LOT. I'd like to do the same thing now, only that I'd do it myself, and make it a 5-string.

What would be optimal would be to find a short-scale neck/dowel.

I've looked on eBay, and I haven't found much. StewMac has them, but one of theirs would need some skills at lutherie, namely carving/woodworking, which I don't really have.

Any suggestions on where I can find a 5-string neck, one that's good (used would be fine) and also reasonably-priced?

Thanks!

Re: 5-String Neck(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BluesPreacher View Post
    I'm looking for some gear, specifically a 5-string banjo neck and dowel (or is it called the truss rod--the part that goes through the banjo body). I want to build a 5-string out of a cookie tin I have left over from Christmas.

What would be optimal would be to find a short-scale neck/dowel.

Any suggestions on where I can find a 5-string neck, one that's good (used would be fine) and also reasonably-priced?

Thanks!
    Well, I got a couple of good suggestions.
    1.) I could take a 4-string neck and convert it into a 5-string neck. One way I could do that would be to insert a wooden violin tuning peg in the side and have the 5th string be outside of the fretboard, since one rarely if ever frets the 5th string anyway.
    2.) Bite the bullet and pay the $50-$60 for a pre-made 5-string neck.
    3.) Make/carve my own 5-string neck, and put the frets on myself. Someone said it's not all that hard. We'll see.

Thanks!