Thread: The Banjo: America's African Instrument, by Laurent Dubois

The Banjo: America's African Instrument, by Laurent Dubois

I just ordered a copy of this book and will post more once I have read it, but until then, has anyone else had a chance to read this? Seems like a good topic for discussion in this section of the forum.

Re: The Banjo: America's African Instrument, by Laurent Dubois

Ordering!

I took this book on vacation back in May but only got little bit read. Summer got pretty hectic after that, but I picked it back up the other day and at least finshed the last few pages of chapter one. I will make a point of finishing the book before summer is over (this was the top of my summer reading list but sadly work related reading has bumped it), but I just wanted to post about chapter 1. An amazing account of the banjo's 'ancestors' going back to the earliest music made in the ancient near east and Africa, and a very interesting discussion of banjo-like instruments and their players, and the earliest interactions between western music and music from the middle east and Africa. I won't look at (or hear) my banjo the same way again after reading this. Anyway, maybe I will post again after each chapter, as this book is so rich that I suspect it will be hard to keep it all in my head if I wait to the end.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Baker For This Useful Post:

Some info about the book we posted in a news release back on March 2.

The Banjo: America's African Instrument

Banjo Cafe Administrator

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Banjo Cafe For This Useful Post: