Thread: Does a good/great banjo have to be so heavy?

Does a good/great banjo have to be so heavy?

I'm a new banjo player. Been playing guitar for thirty years. I purchased a Fender FB-58 and after playing it for a few days, I'm wondering.
    Does ha banjo have to be so darn heavy?

any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Does a good/great banjo have to be so heavy?

Between the tone ring, the resonator, the thick maple rim, and all that metal hardware, basically, yes, a good banjo is heavy. But if this guy can handle it....

I see. Poor kid is going to develop scoliosis...lol

An open back is a little lighter, but a wide strap really helps. None of my banjos is as heavy as my 5 string electric bass or a few telecasters I've owned for that matter!

Cletus
    i'm an openback player so keep that in mind. i highly prefer lighter weight banjos, and tend to find what i like in the 5.5 or 6 lb range.

the current ones i have are:

Bart Reiter A flat scale(shorter scale) maple pot/mahogany neck, brass tone ring, 5.5 lbs
    Bart Reiter Special(26+" scale , maple pot/neck, brass tone ring, 5.9 lbs
    due to arrive tomorrow, 1928 Vega pot(maple) with Little Wonder tone ring and a W Fauley neck(maple), 26" scale, 6 lbs

i've owned a Pisgah A scale with a dobson tone ring, cherry pot and boat heel neck, 5.3 lbs

the Pisgah A scale and Bart Reiter A flat balance nice due the shorter necks, and just feel great.

here is a Reiter A flat scale

6. The Following User Says Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

Tobin 

John Hartford played a banjo with a wooden tone ring to cut down on weight when he became very ill, he sounded pretty good, so actually no, they don't have to be that heavy.

Dave H

Folks
    I'd like to add a comment that the video's I listed above regarding the Reiter A flat scale is not me. That fellow is a fine person by the name of RW Jones. He has an exceptional smooth and fluid touch on a banjo and makes these tunes his own. I've invited RW to head over and join us here. Check out his playing at
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR_eC8ll1Po

and if you like his tune choices, research Dwight Diller

and I apologize to the OP if his question was directed more towards finding info on a resonator banjo-but knowing open backs offer lighter weight might be able to help you out anyway even if you are not interested in clawhammer style.
    d

Thanks for the info, guys!! I purchased the the super mega banjo strap and it solved the problem.
    Now, to get busy learning!

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    Cletus
    i'm an openback player so keep that in mind. i highly prefer lighter weight banjos, and tend to find what i like in the 5.5 or 6 lb range.

the current ones i have are:

Bart Reiter A flat scale(shorter scale) maple pot/mahogany neck, brass tone ring, 5.5 lbs
    Bart Reiter Special(26+" scale , maple pot/neck, brass tone ring, 5.9 lbs
    due to arrive tomorrow, 1928 Vega pot(maple) with Little Wonder tone ring and a W Fauley neck(maple), 26" scale, 6 lbs

i've owned a Pisgah A scale with a dobson tone ring, cherry pot and boat heel neck, 5.3 lbs

the Pisgah A scale and Bart Reiter A flat balance nice due the shorter necks, and just feel great.

here is a Reiter A flat scale

Thanks for the info. I really like your playing style!!

I play a '63 Gibson RB-100, simple brass tone hoop, much lighter than the RB-250 Mastertones that I've owned, and , personally I like the tone better, and it still cuts the mustard over two Martins, a Gibson Mandolin and Kay bass in my group.

Hi Dave - A correction if i may. John Hartford's Deering ''Woodtone'' was designed for him well before he became very ill. JH had a standard Bluegrass style banjo complete with tone ring,but he wanted a banjo with a 'woodier', less bright tone which suited his music. If it was puerly a weight consideration,he could have gone all out for a top quality open back banjo. The JH Deering 'Grenadillo wood' tone ring banjo also had 24 frets on it. In fact,prior to changing over to a Deering banjo,JH had played a Stelling
    'model T' banjo made for him in 1983, which also had a wooden tone ring to satisfy JH's desire for a deeper,woodier tone. That was shortly after John had been diagnosed with cancer,
    Ivan