Thread: Two Fingers on the Head

Two Fingers on the Head

I'm new to playing banjo, but have been playing guitar for a very long time.
    I know you're supposed to keep your right hand pinky and ring fingers on the head while you're picking, but I've tried and tried and my fingers just seem too short and it's totally awkward!
    I can play MUCH faster and much more accurately if I just do it the way it feels right to me but I'm wondering if it's going to cause me problems down the road.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Re: Two Fingers on the Head

"I can play MUCH faster and much more accurately if I just do it the way it feels right to me but I'm wondering if it's going to cause me problems down the road."

Stop the stress and just make music. It really doesn't matter. You can find rules for just about every finger placement situation. And it doesn't matter what Earl or Tony or Bela or whoever did or does. How do You make music.

I am curious though .... do you touch the head and if so with what fingers? It seems odd to me that we fret about how many grams a bridge weighs and then plop down fingers ... some with heavy rings ... and don't wonder about that. For me there's nothing musical about the sound of my fingers sliding on the head.
    Have phun,
    Ryk

Unless your bridge is unusually tall or your fingers are unusually small then you can keep your fingers on the head. I'm going to guess that you may be struggling with your hand position.

Yep, you'll find a few folks that will tell you that it's fine to do whatever you want and it'll all work out. It might; you could wind up being an outlier and the exception that makes the rule. I'm betting that won't happen. Sure, maybe it doesn't matter what someone else did, but if you take a survey of successful you're going to find that an overwhelming number of them anchor (and wear finger picks).

[QUOTE=Ryk;2809]"I can play MUCH faster and much more accurately if I just do it the way it feels right to me but I'm wondering if it's going to cause me problems down the road."

Stop the stress and just make music. It really doesn't matter. You can find rules for just about every finger placement situation. And it doesn't matter what Earl or Tony or Bela or whoever did or does. How do You make music.

I am curious though .... do you touch the head and if so with what fingers? It seems odd to me that we fret about how many grams a bridge weighs and then plop down fingers ... some with heavy rings ... and don't wonder about that. For me there's nothing musical about the sound of my fingers sliding on the head.
    Have phun,
    Ryk
    [/QUOT

No, I don't ever touch the head with my fingers. I can't seem to get my middle finger and ring finger of my right hand to work independently of each other. So all my fingers stay sort of "claw hammer" style.

I had to learn about 15 songs real quick for a Xmas show so I just learned the chords and did whatever picking my fingers would do!Lol! I made it through the show with flying colors!

I keep my pinky finger anchored, my middle finger just wont work right if I anchor my ring finger. I have had no problems. However, I started not anchoring when I first started playing, did not work very good for very long. Don't worry about speed, worry about playing clean and correct, speed comes from that.

Quote Originally Posted by cap6311 View Post
    No, I don't ever touch the head with my fingers. I can't seem to get my middle finger and ring finger of my right hand to work independently of each other. So all my fingers stay sort of "claw hammer" style.

I had to learn about 15 songs real quick for a Xmas show so I just learned the chords and did whatever picking my fingers would do!Lol! I made it through the show with flying colors!
    Perfect ! If you check out any of the older instruction material for banjo, mandolin or guitar you'll see that you are doing naturally what they tell you to do. If you ever pick up a flat pick you'll be light years ahead.

Happy New Year,
    Ryk

Maybe I'm old school but two fingers on the head was drilled into me early on. I think the basis is power and accuracy. Look at JD, Earl, Sonny all of them used fingers on the head. It's a tough lesson to learn but you will become a better player faster. 40 years ago when I started it was the standard, for me it's just how I play...
    Cheers!

It is your banjo. Play it anyway you want to play it. Do whatever works for you. I keep my little finger planted on the head and that works for me. I also frail and clawhammer some and often mix styles. When I come back to Scruggs style in a song, my little finger automatically plants on the head.
    xvigauge

Two fingers on the head. You may be able to play without planting the fingers, but you will never develop the precision and power you need. It is hard at first, but pays big dividends in the end. There are no short cuts, Amigo.