Thread: Favorite banjo specific dealers

Favorite banjo specific dealers

I really like buying from dealers who specialize. So who are your favorites? Doesn't have to be banjo ONLY but it should be their specialty.

Re: Favorite banjo specific dealers

I like Smakula Fretted Instruments, http://www.smakula.com/index.html. Bob specializes in banjos, but also has guitars, mandolins, and other instruments. He has some century old banjos that he has repaired and/or updated. Nice pictures and nice guy. NFI, but I have purchased a tenor banjo and a banjo ukulele from him. He updates his web site every month or so.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Wallick For This Useful Post:

I live about an hour from Minneapolis (area) and bought my Nechville Vintage from Tom Nechville at the place where he builds them. I also took my OME to Tom for repair and he dropped what he was doing and repaired it on the spot. I've found Tom Nechville to be one of the best "banjo guys" I've ever met.

Only been playing 2 1/2 years but Elderly did fine by me.

I really like my three Ome banjos, as they are very well made and smooth to play. I also have a Lone Star Deluxe made by Chuck Lee. I am partial to open backs, as they produce a warmer sound, which I like.

I have a V-35 Sullivan that I won through the Banjo Hangout. It is the best banjo that I have played. They are fine quality instruments with wonderful tone. Eric and Jeff are great guys and I would recommend their instruments highly!

MusicEmporium usually have a nice stock of new, vintage, and used banjos(openback and closed). They will send you a soundclip usually, and most of the folks there play, so they can give you a hands on description and personal review. I found the pricing to be competitive as well.

Elderly usually has a good stock(new and used), and likewise, they will get a real player to take it for spin and call you up. With intsturment in hand they will go over it and even play it over the phone for you.

Sprucetreemusic, will go over any instrument they have and tell you all about it, they will play it over the phone, and compare it to any other instrument they have in stock. Pricing is very competitive.

d

Bernunzios Uptown Music in Rochester, NY (vintage and higher end used and new open back)
    Smakulas, WV (vintage open back)
    Romero (best new open backs, in my opinion, get on the waiting list)

For new and used high end resonator banjos:
    Smokey Mountain Guitar (Grundy and Bishline)
    Music Outlet (they had some new old stock Gibson's, in Sevierville, TN)
    Banjo.com
    Elderly
    Janet Davis

Bought my Gold Star thru Janet Davis. Two guitars from Stan @ Elderly.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    Bought my Gold Star thru Janet Davis. Two guitars from Stan @ Elderly.
    I bought my first mandolin from Stan!

Unfortunately, he passed away and the kids are trying to sell the business. They have a very reduced inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I bought my first mandolin from Stan!

Unfortunately, he passed away and the kids are trying to sell the business. They have a very reduced inventory.
    That would be Stan Jay at Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island whose kids are trying to sell the business.
    Banjo Cafe Administrator

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Banjo Cafe For This Useful Post:

Thanks for that!
    Yes, Elderly has many good if not great brands, but they didn't have GS.

Tucson, AZ in the Winter; Vinton, OH (southeastern Ohio) in the summer
    Blog Entries

The Folk Shop in Tucson, AZ is a great one and I have always loved Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto.
    Dan

Gryphon in Palo Alto. Smakula in W.V.

Quote Originally Posted by clawdan View Post
    The Folk Shop in Tucson, AZ is a great one and I have always loved Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto.
    Dan
    nice to see you here Dan!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pastorharry View Post
    Gryphon in Palo Alto. Smakula in W.V.
    and you too PH

d

The only problem I have with Turtle Hill is no prices posted. This really bothers me, just a personal thing.

The first time I picked up a banjo in the old Mandolin Bros banjo room (in the late 70's/early 80's) I was amazed at how it sounded. Then I realized every banjo on the wall was resonating back at me. I'll miss that store.

I love Elderly. Helps that I'm only 8 miles away

My favorites are in no particular order:

The Music Emporium
    Elderly Instrument
    Banjo.com

Have only purchased from Music Emporium and Elderly. Something tells me Banjo.com is in my future.

I'm adding this site's Classifieds as a favorite!