Thread: Where are the banjo pluckin' ladies?

Blog Entries

Where are the banjo pluckin' ladies?

Just curious! I also play mandolin,and am a rock guitarist. (don't tell anybody!)

Re: Where are the banjo pluckin' ladies?

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoBelle View Post
    Just curious! I also play mandolin,and am a rock guitarist. (don't tell anybody!)
    here is a good place to find a few-look around the website and check'm out, the calendar and CD is excellent.
    http://banjobabescalendar.com/

from the above link, click on "listen" and enjoy the music

d

Tenor banjo player here, also play mandolin, and when I'm not doing that I play the drums!

I wish the first reply wasn't for a tasteless calendar that objectifies women. I'm sure Daryl that you meant no harm, but it's sad that we can't just be appreciated as female musicians, but have to simultaneously be "babes" to garner any recognition. I also understand that participation in a calendar like that is voluntary and it saddens me.

Unruly Crumudgeon

New tenor banjo player here. I also play the mandolin. I'm play pretty much all Irish traditional music all the time. I play mostly because I love the music, but also for my sanity. I love the genre and these instruments because I can play tunes that are happy, sad, sweet or angry.

Oh, BTW: I love the calendar, Daryl. Who doesn't love a tiara and a banjo!
    Last edited by MzLoretta; Apr-23-2016 at 1:59pm. Reason: Forgot the tiara.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MzLoretta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I wish the first reply wasn't for a tasteless calendar that objectifies women. I'm sure Daryl that you meant no harm, but it's sad that we can't just be appreciated as female musicians, but have to simultaneously be "babes" to garner any recognition. I also understand that participation in a calendar like that is voluntary and it saddens me.
    tasteless? It's just women with banjos in a calendar. They're not wearing revealing clothes or anything. They're wearing sundresses for the most part not bikinis

Mary Z Cox is in it for Pete's sake, all of the girls in that calendar have been recognized long before this calendar

quote from the site

"While we take the quality very seriously, the calendar portion is meant to be a just-plain-fun, tongue-in-cheek expression of feminine empowerment. We hope that all applicants will share in our passion for excellent music and sense of humor."
    Last edited by Longblackveil; Apr-23-2016 at 3:37pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Hi Jen

check out the website for the banjobabes-its a very upbeat, classy, event(calendar and CD) each year for female artists.
    the calendar is on heavy stock, excellent photography, each month artist has good information regarding her music and whereabouts/travels. the photographs are well done with an organic folk type appeal for the most part.

All photos are well done and emphasize the banjo and musicality of the artist-this from the FAQ of applicants:

The photos should be empowering and portray you in a way that you want to be portrayed as a professional banjo artist! This project is meant to be a serious musical anthology packaged in a tongue-in-cheek calendar created by women artists. There are not any rules, but we appreciate if you can join in this spirit!

from the website:

The Banjo Babes Calendar & Album (and Tour) is a collective, grassroots celebration of professional women banjo players. Showcasing songs and professional promotion for emerging and established lady banjo artists from around the world, the project aims to create a fun community around celebrating women who play banjo and their music.

The mission of the Banjo Babes Calendar & Album is to celebrate the music of women who play banjo by creating and sustaining one of the most comprehensive, inclusive and diverse annual compilation anthologies via a fun, professional, and empowering project that includes artistic photography in a calendar and world-class music on an album.

Many of the artists participate in an annual tour, with a new route each year. Showcasing one, two or three of the artists featured in the Banjo Babes Calendar & Album edition from current and/or previous years, our shows are incredibly professional in production and steeped with collaboration amongst the artists.

check the tour schedule and attempt to catch a concert-usually 2 or 3 of the calendar artists appear and its awesome.
    Erin Inglish (www.erininglish.com) is the originator of this event, and a professional banjo player/singer herself.

I am in the process of contacting Erin, and all the ladies who are listed on the BanjoBabes website, to come and join in our forum here. It would be great to have them hang out with us, and provide some music samples or ideas.

check out the site, its excellent, and be sure to listen to the music of each artist, many varied styles of banjo. I would have not known of many of these artists if not for the calendar.

d

**I have one of the calendars hanging in the front office of our Radiology department in clear view for our patients and visitors, at the hospital where I work. Its very tasteful, and has prompted positive talk with people using our facility. I figure if it impresses the mind of a woman-irregardless of age, to take up the banjo, it accomplished a goal at that moment.

And I'm trying to get our music changed to folk and clawhammer banjo for our phone systems, rather than the type of top 40 they play. It would be cool to hear clawhammer while on hold-don't you think?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MzLoretta View Post
    New tenor banjo player here. I also play the mandolin. I'm play pretty much all Irish traditional music all the time. I play mostly because I love the music, but also for my sanity. I love the genre and these instruments because I can play tunes that are happy, sad, sweet or angry.

Oh, BTW: I love the calendar, Daryl. Who doesn't love a tiara and a banjo!
    Delighted to see that you've picked up the banjo as well Loretta!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

HI Belle,

I have noticed a lot of women picking up Banjo lately. A good friend of mine gives Banjo lessons, and a fair percentage are female.
    I love seeing this.

My impression is that there are a lot of women players, just not a lot of women that come on the forums.

There's nothing empowering about a calendar of women called "babes." That's the antithesis of the word empowering. It continues stereotypes of women that many of us have worked hard to overcome and throws us back into an earlier time when women were valued for appearance only while men did the heavy lifting of the world.

Women getting the right to vote was empowering, women enrolling in college and becoming lawyers doctors, and possibly the next leader of the United States, that's empowering. Posing on a "banjo babes" calendar to advertise your music? That's not empowering. That's taking advantage of men's visual preferences for financial gain.

It's good to see more women on here. I'm once again reminded that even in 2016 we still have a long way to go.

And, I'm not even a feminist. I'm a person. I have multiple graduate degrees. I have worked hard to get where I am. I am responding in a visceral way to a reminder of no matter how much we work, how many hours we practice, it comes back to our physical appearance and sexual attractiveness.

(As far as Mary, she is a beautiful woman inside and out and talented on top of it all. I'm not judging a woman's decision to use this as a way to get her music out but it saddens me that a CD couldn't be put together showcasing talented women, without also playing on their attractiveness)
    Last edited by Jen; May-07-2016 at 7:52am.

Purpose of this thread was a request from a member wanting to know if other ladies had signed up as members. Discussion immediately was derailed and is now going to get back on track. For those you that wish to engage in a discussion whether or not the calendar in question is empowering or not feel free to hold that conversation privately between yourselves via the personal message function if you wish, but that part of the discussion is now going to cease. Thank you.

From the Forum posting guidelines:

- Topics started for or end up being used to discuss religion, politics or sex as well as other hot button issues meant to create discord are prohibited. Posts or threads deemed inappropriate or unrelated to our subject matter are subject to immediate removal at the discretion of the forum owner and/or lead moderator.
    Banjo Cafe Administrator

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Banjo Cafe For This Useful Post:

I'm a woman pro 4-string player, and after attending countless banjo conventions, camps, clubs, music societies, jam sessions, jazz festivals, etc. (in various musical genres, not just jazz), also teaching for years, I can vouch that there are MANY women players out there. However, in my experience, only a very small percentage of pro players are women. But I also see that things are definitely changing for the better in that regard, slowly but surely.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cynthia For This Useful Post:

Ryk 

Welcome, Cynthia!

For those that are unfamiliar with her music, we'd say a good introduction into Cynthia Sayer would be her Piano Jazz episode on NPR. A delightful hour of music and discussion about the banjo's role in jazz. We'll announce it here, we have a great feature interview with Cynthia coming in a few weeks. Sitting on our computer being worked on and it's going to be terrific.

Check out Cynthia's web site.

Cynthia, we noticed you gig with the host that did the interview. Did that come about as a result of the interview or did you already know him?
    Banjo Cafe Administrator

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Banjo Cafe For This Useful Post:

Thanks so much for your nice words!
    That episode of “Piano Jazz” was indeed the first time I met Jon Weber, the host. Aside from being a gifted pianist, he is a natural fountain of information -- I can appreciate why he was picked to host the show following Marian McPartland! (I was also on the show with Marian -- she was an inspiration to me, a great jazz artist and a woman -- I was privileged to know her.) . And yes, after that meeting, Jon & I gigged a few times together, and I’m sure we will again in the future!

Cynthia,
    Many thanks for chiming in on the Cafe. It's wonderful to have another plectrum player hanging around.
    All the best,
    Ryk

Hey! I just found this site last night! I am a 5-string bluegrass banjo player (with the band Grasstime). I've been a member of the Banjo Hangout for years, but just joined this site! - Sheri

Blog Entries

Wow did this thread turn an unexpected corner! (I haven't been here for a week or so) Thanks,admin for stepping in......I just wanted to see how many female banjoists were here on the forum,and what they play as far as style,4,5,or 6 string,etc. I play and teach mandolin and 5 string banjo on Skype. Currently getting my porch prettied up for pickin one or the other now that the weather is warmer (somewhat wimpy native Southern Californian here)

Hi all!

Female clawhammer player here (been on the learning curve since February 2015). Also new to Banjo Cafe, from Ontario Canada.

If the playing of Cynthia Sayer is not on your radar, we think you'll quickly become a fan. We've been one for a long time so a real honor to host this feature interview with her on the site!
    Banjo Cafe Administrator

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Banjo Cafe For This Useful Post:

Ryk