Bacon Orchestra Special Style B Plectrum Banjo (1925)
Bacon Orchestra Special Style B Model Plectrum Banjo (1925), made in Groton CT, serial # 16522, shaded maple finish, period black hard shell case.
Here's something we don't often see -- a very nice midline Plectrum banjo from one of the best 1920s makers. While Tenor banjos at this level are quite common, it is only rarely we encounter the long-neck 4-string variety. This Bacon Style B is a solid instrument, designed for amateur players or pros on a budget, but with many of the same construction details as the celebrated B&D Silver Bell.
The materials and general construction are the same but with a simpler tone ring, flange, and level of decoration. The heavy maple rim mounts a simple sheathed tone ring, and the resonator a plainer round-hole flange. The neck has a bound dyed-maple fingerboard with pearl inlay in the Silver Bell 3 1 pattern. The headstock is plain with just a "Bacon" script inlay and mounts geared Grover tuners. This is an excellent value in a vintage plectrum; a fine player and fully capable of holding its own with many more expensive banjos of the period.
Overall length is 37 in. (94 cm.), 11 in. (27.9 cm.) diameter head, and 3 5/8 in. (9.2 cm.) in depth, measured at side of rim. Scale length is 26 in. (660 mm.). Width of nut is 1 1/8 in. (29 mm.).
This banjo is in nice original condition overall, set up with a modern head but otherwise original. The original four resonator mounting bolts are missing (replaced by screws) and the tailpiece has lost its top cover; otherwise the banjo is original and complete, with some light typical play and plating wear. It would be hard to find a better vintage beginner's or intermediate-level Plectrum banjo with the full Bacon sound and quality of build at a mid-line price. Includes a worn but functional period HSC. Excellent - Condition.
Item # 8052
Ad Number 117384
Posted: Nov 11, 2017 10:25 AM CDT
233 Butler Street
Brooklyn NY 11217
Ad Owner History
Prior ads by this individual: 625
This individual has never replied to an ad using this email address.
Other current ads by this individual:
• Gibson Style A-3 Carved Top Mandolin (1920)
• C. F. Martin 0-15 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1956)
• Gibson TB-3 Mastertone Conversion With Steve Huber Tone Ring
• Flange & Resonator Banjo Ukulele (Unlabelled), C. 1927
• Gibson J-45 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1951)
• C. F. Martin 0-42 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1929)
• C. F. Martin 0-18 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1959)
• Gibson A-4 Carved Top Mandolin (1913)
• Gibson F-4 Carved Top Mandolin (1928)
• Gibson RB-12 Top Tension 5 String Resonator Banjo (1996)
• C. F. Martin 00-21 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1932)
• Bacon & Day Silver Bell #1 Tenor Banjo (1938)
• National Triolian Resophonic Mandolin (1931)
• Gibson J-160E Flat Top Acoustic-Electric Guitar (1969)
• C. F. Martin HD-28 Custom Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1980)
• 1979 Monteleone Grand Artist
• Rickenbacker Hollow Body Electric Mandolin, C. 1939
• Gibson F-4 Carved Top Mandolin (1913)